Monday 21 May 2018

MPOV: The Slave Prince (e-ARC)

My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 4.64/5

Author: Jeyna Grace
Expected publication: May 29th, 2018
Genre: Young adult, fantasy, fiction

For fifteen years, Thom believed he was a prince of Alpenwhist. He had climbed the castle turrets to survey his kingdom, learned to duel with the sharpest blades, and stirred up palace intrigue in disguise. But one day his identity is suddenly shattered by the revelations of a blind woman: he learns that he isn’t a prince at all, but a wretched slave.

In a kingdom where ruthlessness is part of everyday life, Thom fears this new truth could be deadly. He takes flight, running from the life he knew and the one he despises, but the call to free his people beckons him home. Armed with a magic stone that instructs him through surreal visions, he must topple his once beloved brother who has since become a tyrannical king.

A fantastical retelling of the story of Moses, Thom’s adventure forces him to question if he can succeed in his quest without truly understanding who he is. He must unravel his past, present, and future before he can set his people free.

The above was taken from Goodreads. I have received this e-ARC in return of my honest review.

Thus far, I can safely say I'm a fan of Jeyna Grace. She writes pretty well and even though her story/ inspiration is based on another, hers is always uniquely her own. I loved that it's an easy read though face paced with many enthralling plots. It's never a dull moment reading the adventures set for Thom. It was engaging from the start, keeping me on my toes chapter after chapter! From the moment Thom knew his true background, to the moment he met Seanna at Daysprings and to the moment he knew his true destiny. Such magical moments, be it predictable at times, were so momentous that I can feel Thom's reluctance or persistence. At some point, I had even imagined Jake Gyllenhaal as Thom from his acting in Prince of Persia LOL!

Anyway, I did find the ending a little unfinished, I guess I just wanted the usual 'Happy Ever After' ending! Hoping for the affirmation that Thom has succeeded as the savour of Eklaysians; to setting up a new magical kingdom and be the prince of Eklaysia plus marrying Seanna in the end! For such a big ending, I think the book would have been a thicker one LOL! Well, all in all, this is good enough and I thoroughly enjoyed this magical fairy tale!

For more deets of the author or her books, you can click on the link below:
https://www.inkshares.com/books/the-slave-prince

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails