Wednesday 13 February 2019

MPOV: A Spirited Manor (O'Hare House Mysteries #1)

My rating: 3/5
Goodreads rating: 3.55/5
Reading Women Challenge 2019: 20) A historical fiction book
My CNY 2019 read #1

Author: Kate Danley
Genre: Fantasy, mystery, paranormal
First published: June 2013

Clara was recently widowed and going through a hard time trying to accept her husband's untimely death. Moving to a new house and all, she's hoping to forget and move forward. However, the new house comes with 'price'. She has inherited the spirits within and with it guided her to meet some new found friends. Managing her grief and trying to solve a spirited issue, this misadventure has turned out to be a blessing instead.

A fast and easy read which I had finished within 2 days. My first CNY 2019 read on my Kobo Touch so as not to offend the CNY misgiving of reading a book literally LOL!!! Anyway I was surprised that it turned out to be a light detective novel! I honestly thought it's just another romance novel!

Kate Danley's simple, straightforward prose had me speed reading as it's easily understandable and truly entertaining. I've enjoyed it's many unfortunate deaths though not as nail biting and engaging. Definitely a quick read kinda book.

I did find the plots a little off at some point and had me in doubts like why Clara can suddenly see ghosts in this new house and not before. Also, with the many earlier deaths, why wasn't it reported before? How the story ended was also a little confusing though expected. Aside from Clara's non-stop thoughts of her dead husband and loop holes, it's a good pick-me up. I might just read the remaining 3 novels just to appease my curiosity.

A notable quote:
"Watching your sadness is worse than dying. Do not die while you are still alive, my love. Do not fear to live and love again."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails