Wednesday 3 July 2019

MPOV: The Scarlet Pimpernal

My rating: 1/5
Goodreads rating: 4.07/5

First published: 1905
Author: Baroness Emmuska Orczy
Genre: Historical romance

Armed with only his wits and his cunning, one man recklessly defies the French revolutionaries and rescues scores of innocent men, women, and children from the deadly guillotine. His friends and foes know him only as the Scarlet Pimpernel. But the ruthless French agent Chauvelin is sworn to discover his identity and to hunt him down.

The above taken from Goodreads.

TBH, from the start I have roughly guessed who is the scarlet pimpernal... hiding in plain sight, so to speak. As I was reading it through, I began to feel impatient and annoyed with the way the story was presented. It got on my nerves and I couldn't stand the book anymore that I had to skip and just read the last chapter.

In short, the prose is not my cup of tea and my guessing was right! Oh well, too much lud and faith I guessed plus that old fashioned language... such classic lit is definitely not in my books which is why I've avoided this genre! I noticed there were many who rated this highly so if you are into such genre, you would like it for sure, unlike me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails