Thursday 27 February 2020

MPOV: Masquerade at Middlecrest Abbey

My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 4.48/5
Published: May 26, 2020
Author: Abigail Wilson
Genre: Historical fiction, mystery, regency romance

In this new Regency romance, Elizabeth knows she must protect her heart from the charm of her new husband, Lord Torrington. She is not, however, prepared to protect her life.When the widowed Lord Torrington agreed to spy for the crown, he never planned to impersonate a highwayman, let alone rob the wrong carriage. Stranded on the road with an unconscious young woman, he is forced to propose marriage to protect his identity and her reputation, as well as his dangerous mission.

Trapped not only by her duty to her country but also by her limited options as an unwed mother, Miss Elizabeth Cantrell and her infant son are whisked away to Middlecrest Abbey by none other than the elder brother of her son's absent father. There she is met by Torrington's beautiful grown daughters, a vicious murderer, and an urgent hunt for the missing intelligence that could turn the war with France. Meanwhile she must convince everyone that her marriage is a genuine love match if her new husband has any hope of uncovering the enemy.

Determined to keep her son's true identity a secret, Elizabeth will need to remain one step ahead of her fragile heart, her uncertain future, and the relentless fiend bent on her new family's ruin.

The above taken from Goodreads.
Thanks to Netgalley for this e-ARC in return for my honest review.

An interesting plot where a forced marriage of convenience took place between Adrian and Elizabeth. When a murder happens at Middlecrest Abbey, Adrian and Elizabeth spent lots of time together trying to solve it to find the murderer. With lots of enthralling adventure together, the masquerade eventually turns into a reality with both Adrian and Elizabeth falling in love!

The adventure, the mystery, the treachery... I'm surprised to find such exciting plots in this historical romance! I honestly loved the way it was written with much gusto and yet paced accordingly. Abigail Wilson is truly a wonderful author, able to get me on my toes and have my full attention until the end! It's a sex-less romance book too so it caught me by surprise as it's still as romantic and engaging! A sexy yet elegant read at that.

From the start, I'm not sure even why but I have Liam Neeson in mind as Adrian. The way he speaks and behave just had me there as Adrian and the whole book seems more realistic, imagining Liam plotting through the story LOL! Adrian is so endearing and understanding (not forgetting very handsome as it was repeatedly mentioned by Elizabeth) that I was so annoyed with Elizabeth for thinking too much!!!

This is the only part I wasn't completely happy about, Elizabeth's doubtful mind! Most of the time, I felt like shouting at her, telling her to move on and be honest with Adrian! Gosh, it sure tires me to even just think of it! I know, it's just part of the story, LOL! I rarely get so emotional reading a book but this definitely riled me up! So it's that good ya...

All in all, it's a wonderful love story worth my time reading it and totally enjoyed it to the tee! Here are a couple of excerpts...

*Adding Abigail Wilson into my favourite author list*

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails