Thursday 9 July 2020

[MPOV] Until It's Over: A Novel

My rating: 3/5
Goodreads rating: 3.61/5
Published: 28th July 2020
Author: Nicci French
Genre: Thriller, mystery, crime, suspense, fiction

Thanks to Edelweiss and William Morrow Paperbacks for this e-novel in return for my honest review.

There are 2 parts to this story with an epilogue at the end. The first part is from the victim's point of view and the second part is from the killer's. This novel is about a group of 7 housemates who are good friends with each other. Astrid (a bicycle messenger), Pippa (a lawyer), Owen (a photographer), Mike (ex-military), Dario (an addict) and Davy (a contractor) rented rooms from Miles who owns the house. It all started when Astrid met with an accident where a car door opens suddenly and she hits it while cycling home. The driver of the car was found dead the next day and a string of unfortunate events started to crop up with police linking it eventually to Astrid.

Part 1 sounds innocently enough with a few drama here and there whereas part 2 is much more sinister and dark. However I did feel that the point of view could have been done alternately instead of splitting it as is. It somehow felt lacking of it's usual thrill when the killer was revealed prematurely. I would have liked being kept guessing until toward the end LOL! Well, that's just me :-)

It was not as intense as their other books and I did not expect this to taper off midway. Thankfully it did picked up towards the end when the police found some connection elsewhere and slowly linked it back to who did it. The epilogue though was unnecessary for me. In fact, I've read it wrongly and mistaken that Emlyn was a female!!! Don't ask me why...

As usual, it's well written with some suspense that kept me reading and feeling intrigued. I wouldn't have known who the killer was as I kept guessing it wrong. When it was revealed so early, I was like 'what???'!!! Spoilt all the fun!!! Oh well, we can't have it all right?

Anyway, if you are looking for a light, straightforward and different kind of crime fiction, this is for you. I have read some of their other works and they are sinisterly disturbingly good! Nicci French is a pseudonym for Sean French and Nicci Gerard, a husband and wife team who write many mystery fiction together. They also do write separately. 

Good fences make good neighbours.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails