Thursday 1 July 2021

Sarawakian Penan Handwoven Bags

I have always made it a point to donate or support a local charity during my birthday month whenever I could. Be it street donations to beggars or supporting local creatives, big or small, it is a way for me to give back to the community. Like the saying ''sharing is caring'', giving is satisfying in my book. 

This year, I have decided to support the Penan families in Sarawak. The creative Penan folks have been weaving bags for sale and I have decided to purchase a set of these beautiful handwoven bags! A set consists of 3 different bags weaved by 3 different women hence feeding 3 different families. It is such an awesome project lead by Yasmin who can be contacted via her Facebook page:

Yasmin has been promoting them tirelessly over the months I have been following the page and she has overcome many criticism especially from negative naysayers. I truly applaud her for continuously helping the Penan folks selflessly. It is a win-win situation where you can support a charity and also shop for a lovely bag for yourself LOL!

Here is mine :-)
Such a huge parcel!

Surprise!!!

Pretty bags in a row!!!

PS: If you are not genuinely supporting this cause or do not appreciate handmade, please refrain from buying. I've seen questions like ''What is it made of?'' and then not buying sounds half-hearted with a closed mind in my book. I cannot fathom why you would want to know the material when you are supporting a charity especially since it is handmade. If you did not like it upon receiving it, you could just give it away right?! I didn't mean to be rude or offend anyone but this is just my 2 cents.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails