Monday 14 February 2022

[MPOV] The Italian Wife

My rating: 3/5
Goodreads rating: 3.94/5
Published: 25/11/2014
Author: Kate Furnivall
Genre: Historical romance, mystery, Italy
Italy, 1932 -- Mussolini's Italy is growing from strength to strength, but at what cost?

One bright autumn morning, architect Isabella Berotti sits at a café in the vibrant centre of Bellina, when a woman she's never met asks her to watch her ten-year-old daughter, just for a moment. Reluctantly, Isabella agrees -- and then watches in horror as the woman climbs to the top of the town's clock tower and steps over the edge.

This tragic encounter draws vivid memories to the surface, forcing Isabella to probe deeper into the secrets of her own past as she tries to protect the young girl from the authorities. Together with charismatic photographer Roberto Falco, Isabella is about to discover that secrets run deeper, and are more dangerous, than either of them could have possibly imagined . . .

From the glittering marble piazzas, to the picturesque hillside villages and winding streets of Rome, Kate Furnivall's epic new novel will take you on an breathtaking journey of intrigue, romance and betrayal.
TBNT Book Challenge for January:
A Murder Mystery OR Combines Thrills and Romance

Book Spin Bingo:
Title starting with alphabets I OR O

My first book for the year 2022 and it turns out to be quite enthralling! It definitely meets TBNT Book Challenge of a murder mystery AND combines thrills and romance! I'm just glad that I was able to finish it as it was such a busy month! It sure felt stressful trying to finish it either so I think I'll give the challenge a miss if I'm not able to do it, not going to rush to meet it anymore.

I was transported back to the olden days of Italy when Mussolini rules the country and loyalty of the people were always tested way back then. Overall premise of the story was interesting but it was not as engaging at some point. Maybe I felt rushed to finish it but I sure was not into it somewhere in the middle. When Isabella and Roberto got together, it wasn't a surprised and the ending was what I have thought it would be.

I would think this as an entertaining read, to pass time and liked that it has an interesting look during the Mussolini regime. Though fiction, I just liked anything historical plus I liked this author's writing from her previous books. Just wished it was more engaging this time around.

A romantic quote to end this post:
"Isabella, the first time I saw you, you had a blasted chicken stuck under your arm and an ancient vecchia clinging to youfor dear life, almost toppling you over. All around there was noise and confusion and the greyness of uncertainty. Fear was stamped on everyone's face. But you, with your chicken and your old woman and your smile, were like a shaft of sunlight on that station platform.'' He let his words drift across the space that divided them. ''I loved you then, Isabella, and I love you now.''

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails