Wednesday 8 February 2023

[MPOV] Showers of Luck

My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 4.13/5
Published: February 28, 2023
Author: Nadia Ayesha
Genre: historical romance, Asian literature
A story of two young Peranakans growing up and falling in love in pre-war colonial Singapore

Inspired by a true story, Showers of Luck follows the life of two characters, Lily and Khalid, in pre-war colonial Singapore. Lily is a hard-working young nyonya who stays with her distant aunt’s family, the Kongs, following the advice of a fortune-teller that she should be given away after birth. As Lily learns domestic skills, she yearns for a life beyond her home. She admires Khalid, her handsome Muslim neighbour, who is trying to study hard for his Senior Cambridge examinations and fulfill his filial duties to his divorced parents. Spanning a period of two years in pre-war Singapore, against the backdrop of a world preparing to go to war, Lily and Khalid’s paths intersect time and again. Consumed by their desires, the couple navigate societal judgment and challenge familial expectations in a brave attempt to start a new life together.
A special thanks to Penguin Random House SEA for this ARC in return for my honest review. This is one of those books where the cover itself caught my attention and I went for it. I am thankful I did as it turned out to be an amazing read! 
Rain showers brought good luck - that was the belief that Peranakans had. These are showers of luck, Lily thought so she closed her eyes and started to wish for the things she wanted.
This novel is written by a debut author, Nadia Ayesha, based on her grandparent's love story. Being an inter-racial romance, it was frown upon way back then especially since it is between a Nyonya and an Indian Muslim. I am intrigued with the Peranakan reference in this novel, not forgetting the delicious Peranakan food mentioned, as it made the story more relatable for me. There were slow moments but overall, the flow of the story was fluid and I thoroughly enjoyed Lily's and Khalid's journey. It did feel like a Cinderella classic in Asian setting for me though the prince in this novel is a student LOL! 
She was far more fortunate; her father had not died in a ware and her mother was still alive. She would choose to be grateful for all she had. She slid the jade bracelet on her wrist. It fit snugly. I am wanted, Lily thought as her fingers ran down the bracelet. I am loved. Just as I am.
It was engaging and I didn't want it to end as such love story is timeless. The author's prose was straightforward with on point translations for all local dialects used hence we will not be lost in translation. It sure brings back lots of memories for me as it touch-based with my Asian roots, what with the many whitewashed stuff currently available in our lives. I can feel Lily's insecurities especially since she has been raised by another family and her longing to be loved by her own parents. 

I am glad to be a part of Lily's and Khalid's journey as it has prompted me to think more of my grandparent's story which has been at the back of my mind lately. It has also been one on my Wishlist to be able to write a novel based on their lives. I had a bout of health issue recently and was hospitalized that got me thinking of many things in my life... even my Wishlist has since grown exponentially and the mantra ''we only live once'' keeps playing in mind. Oopsie daisy! I got sidetracked!

Back to this lovely book which I highly recommend if you like romance with all the Asian flair. Definitely a worthwhile read, reminiscing the olden days way back then. A historical love story with the same ''happy ever after'' ending but under a different setting. Definitely had me sighing at the end, a happy one at that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails