Thursday 13 April 2023

[MPOV] The American Boyfriend


My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 4/5
Publish: July 25th, 2023
Author: Ivy Ngeow
Genre: mystery, thriller, suspense

Phoebe Wong would do anything to escape a British winter. But it may cost her more than her airfare.

Sunsets, tacos and margaritas sound perfect to exhausted single mum Phoebe with a dead-end job in Southwark. When her long-distance boyfriend in New York invites her to meet him in Florida, she couldn't wait to jump on a plane with her toddler. Arriving with her teething child at her boyfriend's Key West 'vacay home' before him, she is robbed on her first night. With no money, cards or passports, she is grateful for the support of friendly locals. At a BBQ, she meets an expat British businessman. Her boyfriend arrives eventually, apologetic, and takes her out to a posh seafood dinner. But when the British expat is shot that night in the same restaurant's car park, Phoebe is trapped in a put-up job, and her boyfriend's delayed arrival is suspiciously timed. If this place has turned darker and chillier than London, she wants out. Will she be able to pull herself and her daughter away from danger?

The American Boyfriend is perfect for fans of Shari Lapena, SJ Watson and Jeneva Rose.
Thanks to Penguin Random House SEA for this e-ARC in return for my honest review. Mystery, thriller and suspense caught my eye, so I just have to give this novel a try. It does remind me of Adele Parks somehow...

I have enjoyed the chill and the build-up of the story... from when Phoebe lost her bag to when Roberta suddenly turned up at her door to when Carter finally arrived. In and out of Allamanda Grove, with the many characters that brought the plots to live, it sure feels like the American dream gone wrong. It had me guessing who the suspect was and what was actually going on! Finally reaching the end but there was a plot twist to it! I would never have guessed it at all! It really ended in a melancholy high for me!

The way the story unveils, I thought it was kinda similar to Adele Parks (fresh from my recent read). I liked that it was an easy read, but I did get confused with the sudden change of viewpoint from one character to another. It would be good to indicate whose viewpoint on each chapter. Other than that, it was an entertaining one for me especially trying to pin who did it!

I also liked the relevancy of Phoebe being a Chinese single mother trying to cope with a toddler in tow, traveling to another country. Not forgetting easily sympathized with her situation. Being Asian, trying not to trust strangers yet slowly adapting to trust them to survive was surreal. However, her trusting Roberta by revealing her needs... especially to withdraw money (mentioned a few times!)... it was a little farfetched lah for me as I guess trust is not easily gain with me. Well, if Phoebe did not act as she did then the story would have ended early LOL!

If you like who-did-it mystery, with only 200+ pages, it is worth reading without feeling too overwhelmed with too many fillers or plots. It is just nice for me lah.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails