Wednesday 13 September 2023

[MPOV] The Coworker

My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 3.98/5
Published: August 29th, 2023
Author: Freida McFadden
Genre: Mystery fiction, psychological thriller, suspense

Thanks to NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for this early copy of The Coworker by Freida McFadden. A member of the book club I am in highly recommended this author and she has been raving about the books she has read thus far! It has piqued my interest as she usually raves about Asian Lits and very rarely of other genres. 

This story has 2 timelines, one is from Natalie's current view and the other is from Dawn's. Natalie is the top salesperson in the company she works in. Dawn, her coworker, recently joined the company 9 months ago and sits next to her cubicle. Dawn is always punctual and has a weird craze over turtles that her colleagues snubbed her. When Dawn didn't turn up for work one day, Natalie was so concerned that she eventually went over to Dawn's house and discovered a crime scene instead!

This is my first Freida McFadden and it will not be the last, that's for sure! I am so amazed with the intense story telling from the start, that is on a consistent pace with lots of heart pumping question marks that left me anxious and on my toes! It truly had me thinking ''who did it?'' and then it went south, twisted in another direction and then got me confused "who did it?" again! I didn't expect it to turn out the way it did but when the story finally ends, I was definitely relieved!
"I really wanted to write a book where the 'guilty' party was thoroughly punished for their misdeeds, so I want my readers to finish the book with a deep sense of satisfaction and smiles on their faces."
~~~ Freida McFadden ~~~
Freida is truly a master at plotting and twisting crime mystery fiction. She's good at keeping the readers wanting to know more yet letting us nibble it bit by bit. I had my suspicions but when it reached that part, I was still in a daze thinking "that's such a psychotic episode!!!" I can't reveal names or plots, else it's a dead spoiler! Pun intended LOL! Either way, you are in for a treat if you are new to Freida's work of art! It sure is addictive and unputdownable!

Aside from all the mystery, the background of how it all started made it more relatable and understandable. I sure hope that current social ills in novels like this one will create more awareness, not only to the readers but to the world as a whole.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails