Tuesday 4 August 2015

MPOV: The Battle for Oz [e-ARC]

When a foreign queen invades Oz and steals its citizens’ magic, the land turns to someone who has aided them before: Dorothy. But the silver-slippered girl has grown up, and in her years away from Oz the game has changed. So, in order to defeat this new and unfamiliar enemy, Dorothy seeks the aid of Alice, a legendary woman who once famously defeated a queen.

Note: I have gotten this e-ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange of my point of view.

When I first started reading this e-ARC, I was a little perplexed as the characters were known characters from famous children's books by Lewis Carroll and L. Frank Baum. Although I have not read these books, I have watched the movie adaptations such as Alice in Wonderland, The Wizard of Oz and Oz the Great & Powerful. Hence reading this made me thought of the movie characters and the plots involved initially.

As the journey ploughed on with Dorothy seeking Alice to save Oz, I enjoyed the little takes of both Earth and Wonderland in the story with Scarecrow, Toto and the rest completing this battle for Oz. It was interesting on how the author brought it up to another level, which had me thinking that this story is a fantasy adventure series. Although it was categorized as Science Fiction and Fantasy, I would also include it as Young Adult.

My summarized thought:
A surprisingly cool read for a book with great known characters! Although I have only watched the movies and not read Oz nor Wonderland before, I kept imagining the characters as those from the movies hence my reading journey was really entertaining. For example, the New Queen was Helena Bonham Carter and Hatter was Johnny Depp LOL! The author truly has a good imagination, merging both worlds together into a great fantasy. Am I right to anticipate a book 2?

My rating: 4/5
Author: Jeyna Grace
Genre: Sci Fi & Fantasy
Publisher: Inkshares
Publish date: Sep 15, 2015

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails