Wednesday 19 October 2022

[MPOV] My Lovely Skull and other Skeletons

My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 4/5
Published: October 18th, 2022
Author: Tunku Halim
Genre: horror, mystery, fiction
Each the darkest of tales. Skeletons in the cupboards of the mind. Shackled in a dungeon. Rattling the cages. Bones jangling as they grinningly emerge.

Meet a hungry old woman who roasts her victims. A grieving father intent on rape and murder. A sex-slave nurse who uses lizards to kill. A blood-sucking creature avenging a battered wife. A teenager in love with a beach-discovered skull. A diva-wannabe who will poison to sing. An exorcism going terribly wrong.

These and other skeletons await. Nightmarish, spine-chilling tales ready to embrace and draw you into their blood-dripping dungeons.

Are you ready for the shackles?

Do you have a lovely skull?
This is my first Tunku Halim read, and I nearly freaked out!!! Honestly, what have I gotten myself into??? When I was presented the opportunity, I quickly grabbed as I wanted to support a fellow Malaysian. Also, knowing it's filled with chilling stories, I thought it's a good timing since Halloween is just around the corner. However, after a few chapters in, I was kinda scared... yet the story was gripping enough that had me turning the pages and continue! Ya, I'm not a horror fan as I'm a scaredy cat hence I hardly read or watch such genre.

This novel consists of 15 short stories that varied in plots but with one aim or genre in mind, horror! It managed to keep me intrigued with the many plots which is good since there are 15 different stories being told. Some has more horror factor than the other and all in all, I felt scared and gross at the same time LOL! The way the author managed to weave his pen throughout the stories truly had me continued reading even though my heart seemed to beat harder and faster! There were some that had me looking over my shoulder always and some gave me goosebumps always! Gosh, I wanted to stop but I couldn't as it was good, and I wanted to know how it ended.

Among the 15, though horrific, there were a few that I did like. For instance, Room 511 and The Elevator Game were unexpected for me. My Lovely Skull and The Garden were not the ordinary kind that was gross for me! In the end, it did an amazing job keeping me turning the pages until the end. I do have a signed copy of Tunku Halim's earlier novel, Horror Stories 2, which I might pushed it up my TBR since I am able to read on especially for a scaredy cat like me LOL!

Thanks to the publisher, Penguin Books SEA, for this e-ARC in return for my honest review. Since Halloween is just around the corner, it would be a good read during this horror season/festival!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails