Wednesday 8 March 2023

[Spotlight] Nadia Ayesha, debut author of Showers of Luck.

Earlier on, I had the chance to read this awesome novel, Showers of Luck, by a debut author, Nadia Ayesha. You can read my full review here: 

I am also thrilled that she has spent some time answering my questions! So, here's a spotlight on the lovely author.
Nadia Ayesha (From Goodreads)
Nadia Ayesha is a MA Creative Writing student at LASALLE College of the Arts. She currently teaches English composition at an enrichment centre.
From her years of working in the non-profit sector, she learnt the value and meaning in every individual's life story and was inspired to return to writing, her first love as a child. In her spare time, she enjoys hiking, reading, dabbling in art and watching football.
Hi Nadia,

Congratulations on the birth of your first novel! It was such an engaging read that I truly enjoyed both Lily and Khalid's journey! This novel sure feels like a cross between Tash Aw and Tan Twan Eng in my opinion!

1. For the benefit of the new readers, please sum up Showers of Luck as best you could. 

Showers of Luck is a young adult historical romance novel that follows the life of two characters, Lily and Khalid, in pre-war colonial Singapore. 

2. When I started reading it, I was surprised with the many usage of well-known Malay references that I can relate to the story more. May I dare ask; would you worry if it is too localized that some readers might not be able to relate to it? I have seen such reviews from readers from America or UK having such difficulty understanding it.

I wasn’t too concerned about foreign readers not being able to relate because of the Malay language used. Whenever I used Malay, I would provide the English translation further down the page. I believed the reader would be able to connect the dots on his or her own.

3. I understand this novel was inspired by a true story of your grandparents. How did they inspire you and how close was this story to the actual love story? 

I was very close to my maternal grandparents. My late grandfather lived a very long life and he was full of the best stories that he was happy to share with me. I would post photos of him accompanied with quotes or a short write-up on Facebook. Sometimes, these posts would be about both him and my late grandmother. One day in 2017, my cousin replied to one of my posts and suggested that I write a family memoir. However, I didn’t have enough factual information from my grandfather so I decided, at one point, that it had to be fiction. I’d compare the story to a house. The basic building structure is the actual love story. The rest, I added over time like decorations to the house, so it would be a work of fiction. 

4. So you enjoy watching football, any particular team you favour or support?

I’ve been supporting Liverpool Football Club since I was fourteen. Not going to comment on this season. Just reminding myself to be grateful that this team has won both the Premier League and Champions League.

PS: FYI, a Man Utd fan here and I am devastated with the recent score between Liverpool and MU (7-0)!!! 

5. I am curious if there is a new novel in the pipeline? Would you be inclined to stick to historical Asian lit or explore other genres?

I’m currently working on an adult mystery novel. The story idea came to me then I figured out what genre it would fit into. So I don’t really think about sticking to a genre per se. At some point, I hope to write a sequel to Showers of Luck. I enjoyed writing it partly because the time I spent researching the intricacies of the historical period was fun for me. 

6. Who is your favourite author and why?

I don’t think I can pick one favourite author as an adult. But since I’m currently reading Celeste Ng’s Our Missing Hearts, I’d say I’ve enjoyed reading Celeste Ng’s Little Fires Everywhere and Everything I Never Told You because of her writing style and the way she examines complex family dynamics.
 
7. Whose footsteps do you follow, your mom's or dad's?

I’m an only child but I wouldn’t say I take after either parent. It was my mother who introduced me to the world of books though! 

8. Lastly, how would you encourage aspiring writers to continue their writing journey? Any foolhardy tips or mantra to stay motivated?

Writing is a long journey, so I’d say pace yourself. Believe in yourself and the story you want to tell. Push through moments of self-doubt. That might be periods where you write nothing at all or write very little but don’t give up on your story. Reading about the struggles other writers go through will help you know you’re not alone. Just keep going!

Thank you, Nadia, for your time in answering my questions.

I am looking forward to her next novel as it so happens that I do like mystery :-) So for the time being, if you are interested in this novel, I will be running a giveaway of my copy soon on Instagram. Please stay tune on my Instagram:

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails