Sunday 23 July 2023

[MPOV] Sweet Braised Duck

My rating: 4/5
Goodreads rating: 3.75/5
Published: May 16, 2023
Author: Chew Ngee Tan
Genre: Asian Literature, contemporary fiction, Singapore food
Kuang was five years old when he first arrived in Singapore from Shantou, China. Reunited with his abusive good-for-nothing grandfather and a new step-grandmother, Kuang and his parents struggled to live with dignity while battling poverty. When he became the eldest brother to seven siblings, greater responsibilities weighed on his shoulders. He gave up his education and worked as a fish porridge hawker assistant to help the family make ends meet. Twists and turns in his life eventually brought him back to his hometown cuisine. How did he derive a unique recipe of his own? How did he realise his dream of becoming a successful Teochew braised duck rice seller?
I just love the neat cover which feels minimalist authentic that it prompted me to grab the book :-) Thanks to Penguin Random House SEA for this book in return for my honest review.

Once I have started reading it, I have to slowly devour the story, line by line, word by word and I just couldn't speed read or skip a few pages. It somehow engaged me to just read it as it is, and I thoroughly enjoyed Kuang's journey from a young boy arriving in Singapore to when he became a well-known braised duck seller. The author's simple, straightforward prose was good enough and didn't require the flowery style to keep me reading.
"I stood in the moonlight as I recalled something Boon once told me. Kuang, life has no time for anything as trivial as emotions."
Kuang migrated to Singapore with his mom when he was 5 to be with his father who's already there working. This novel tells the story of Kuang, his hardship growing up in a new land, being the eldest in the family of 7 eventually and the responsibility he carries every day. When he finally found a best friend in school, something bad happened and their friendship became sour, but he still carries the guilt into adulthood. He grew up being a filial son and grandson, even though his grandfather loathes him. Lots of unprecedented drama with his growing up which is relatable even in current times.
"The map of wrinkles on Uncle Tham's face told of is incredible journey of selling curry puffs. From a peddling street hawker who had to constantly avoid inspectors to a boss who could guide the next generation in setting up businesses with his experience."
When he finally reached for his dream to be a braised duck seller, mind you it didn't dwell down to how he perfected his recipe but more of his road to his success. However, he did share on how to keep the chopping board clean LOL! It truly was an awesome journey, challenging yet with lots of hard work. He thought through and through before diving into a job prospect, which built his good character through the experience he had.
"I sprinkled some coarse salt on top of the board, rolled up my sleeves, and scoured it with half a lemon. The sour salty paste sat on the board."
A simple yet fictionalized biography that is a breeze to read through. I didn't expect much of it since this is the author's first novel and it turned out to be a good one for me. I liked that the story is about Kuang and without the flowery prose to make it standout. Kuang is already outstanding himself and the ending was just what I have expected, nothing less.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails