Tuesday 1 August 2023

[Spotlight] Chew Ngee Tan, author of Sweet Braised Duck

I have been so lucky to be given the chance to pick this book up, as aside from the lovely aesthetic, the story turns out to be engaging for me. You can read my full review here:

I am also excited that the author, Chew Ngee Tan, has taken the time to answer my questions! Here's a brief introduction:
Chew Ngee Tan was born and raised in Singapore with a love for reading and writing. She graduated from the National University of Singapore, majoring in Sociology. She completed a Master's degree in Liberal Studies at Rice University in Texas, USA, after working as an English Language and Social Studies educator in Singapore for a few years. Always intrigued by her own and others' experiences, historical events, and nature, she is now a writer who creates stories to capture the beauty of being human and the interconnectedness of life. Sweet Braised Duck is her first novel.
Dear Madam Tan, (PS: apologies if I sound too old school formal LOL)

Congratulations on the birth of your first novel, Sweet Braised Duck! I am thankful for this opportunity to immerse in Kuang's journey, learning more about Teochew heritage + dialect and enjoy the novel until the end.

1. For the benefit of the new readers, please sum up Sweet Braised Duck as best you could.


Sweet Braised Duck blends a coming-of-age story with the history of Singapore hawker food. Kuang was five years old when he arrived in Singapore with his mother from China in 1957. He was excited, but at the same time, apprehensive about the reunion with his grandparents who were in Singapore. Kuang suffered abuses in the new land because his grandfather detested him. When he became the big brother to seven siblings, responsibilities further weighed on him. He chose to give up his education so that his siblings could go to school. Yearning to earn for the family, Kuang became a fish porridge stall assistant. But working as a hawker assistant was not easy. It required a lot of endurance. He met people who disappointed him along the way but he also encountered people who believed in him. His faith in himself and those who loved him brought him closer to his dream of selling amazing food. A passion for Teochew braised duck ultimately led to his victory.

Sweet Braised Duck is a story about love, dreams, and resilience. This story tells of the struggles people in Singapore had in the past and their unwavering spirit to overcome them.


2. I understand that your family, especially your father, inspires you to write this novel so how much of Kuang was taken from your father's childhood?

I would say 40% of the events in this novel are true. As it is a fiction, most of the emotions and thoughts in the book come from me. The stories my father told made me feel and think deeply. Kuang combines my father's past with my research and imagination, as well as all my emotions as I went through his life with him in my mind.

3. It's nice that your mom encourages you to read! So aside from Roald Dahl, who is your favourite author and why?

Roald Dahl is my childhood favourite. I also like Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women a lot.
I don’t really have a favourite author. I read books of all kinds, but my favourites are historical fiction and Asian modern literature that shed light on complex social issues.
I enjoy works of modern writers like Sayaka Murata, Hiro Arikawa, Lee Min Jin, Nguyễn Phan Quế Mai, Ocean Vuong, Lisa See, Mieko Kawakami, Han Kang, Tan Twan Eng, Suchen Christine Lim, Keigo Higashino, Claire Keegan, Kristin Harmel, and Laura Imai Messina.
I also adore works by Leo Tolstoy, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Fyodor Dostoevsky.


4. What do you do in your free time, aside from writing or reading?

I walk a lot. I walk for forty-five minutes every day. While I am walking, I listen to music.
Sometimes I watch dramas and films, especially when I get a little tired from writing.
I also enjoy meeting people, talking with them, and understanding their circumstances, as well as exploring nature with my children.


5. Is there a new novel in the pipeline? Would you be inclined to stick to this genre or explore other genres?

I am writing a sequel to Sweet Braised Duck, choosing another protagonist, and writing with a different voice.
I enjoy writing realistic fiction. I like to find out what people are doing in their everyday life and imagine how their challenges can make them victors.


PS: I can't wait!!!

6. Can Sweet Braised Duck be considered as a biography of your parent's legacy?

I would say yes and no.

In a nutshell, yes, as this novel contains real events of my parents’ lives and it captures how my father struggled to become a successful braised duck rice seller. He is so good at making braised duck and so contented with his culinary art that I thought I ought to document this whole process of him growing up in Singapore and how he eventually succeeded in selling braised duck rice. When I read this book, I feel my parents’ spirit high and alive.

But at the same time, I would say no as it isn’t a biography. The beauty about writing fiction is, it allows me to have a lot of space to imagine all the what ifs and what mights. While writing, I need to open this chest of memories, and discover what I have hidden inside, things I didn't even realize were there. This book also documents a process of my own self-discovery. Events in my father’s life help me to discover myself.


PS: I guess it's like a tribute ;-)

7. What do you look for or aim for in the future of your writing career?

To be honest, I only have two aims. The first one is for me to become a more compassionate person through learning about others’ lives and writing about them. When I discover more about others, my own heart expands. I don’t want to just live my life.

The second one is to expand others’ understanding of situations and their own experiences through my works. I hope my writings can be a form of companionship for my readers.


8. Whose footsteps do you follow, your mom's or dad's? Also, do any of your children follow in your footsteps?

I think I follow both of their footsteps. My father loves growing bonsai and making good food. By immersing himself in art, he learns a lot from the creative processes. He always shares his learnings with us. So, I think he helps to nurture this creative part of me. My mother is an amazing woman. She has shown me what it takes to be a good mother – resilience, a sense of responsibility, love, and faith. She inspires me to be one too.

I have two sons and both are still young. I read to them very often so they also love books. They sometimes come up with their own stories and share them with me at bedtime. My older son is crazy about animals. He thinks he is a cheetah, and not a human. I can tell that his imagination is very wild. My younger son is a mature two-year-old who understands his own and others’ emotions pretty well. I hope he continues to discover more about his own feelings and thoughts as he grows.


9. With your experience, would you consider conducting a writing class or 2 for aspiring writers in the near future?

I would love to share my writing journey with others. If I could develop my own unique method of doing creative writing, I would conduct classes. I am still exploring.

10. Lastly, how would you encourage aspiring writers to continue their writing journey? Is there any fool proof method to get inspired and to write? Any foolhardy tips or mantra to stay motivated?

Build writing and reading into your everyday routine. Fix the same time to write every single day and remind yourself to be disciplined enough to stick to it. Write even when you have no faith in yourself. Just continue to write. You can always edit your work. In an event when you can’t do it, remember you can always go back to it. You will eventually create a piece of art that will amaze yourself.

But don’t write when you are overwhelmed by your own emotions. Write when you feel curious to go through life with your characters. So, this means, you’ve got to find ways to help yourself stay curious and ready to learn.

Thank you so much for time in answering my questions, Chew Ngee! I can't wait for the release of your next novel! 
免客气

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails