Tuesday 26 December 2023

[MPOV] The Midnight Library

My rating: 3/5
Goodreads rating: 4/5
Published: August 13, 2020
Author: Matt Haig
Genre: Magical realism, fantasy fiction, mental health related
Between life and death there is a library, and within that library, the shelves go on forever. Every book provides a chance to try another life you could have lived. To see how things would be if you had made other choices . . . Would you have done anything different, if you had the chance to undo your regrets? A novel about all the choices that go into a life well lived.

Somewhere out beyond the edge of the universe there is a library that contains an infinite number of books, each one the story of another reality. One tells the story of your life as it is, along with another book for the other life you could have lived if you had made a different choice at any point in your life. While we all wonder how our lives might have been, what if you had the chance to go to the library and see for yourself? Would any of these other lives truly be better?

Nora Seed finds herself faced with this decision. Faced with the possibility of changing her life for a new one, following a different career, undoing old breakups, realizing her dreams of becoming a glaciologist; she must search within herself as she travels through the Midnight Library to decide what is truly fulfilling in life, and what makes it worth living in the first place.
Nora is feeling depressed and wanting to end her life. She finally gets her chance to die but she inadvertently ended up in a limbo. She is stuck between life and death, at 12 midnight in a library with Mrs. Elm who used to be her school librarian. Here she sees her regrets and also get to enjoy lives she has never chosen. She can then pick the one she wants to live in. Will she ever feel contented with that decision?
''Like I still wanted to die. I have wanted to die for quite a while. I have carefully calculated that the pain of me living as the bloody disaster that is myself is greater than the pain anyone else will feel if I were to die. In fact, I'm sure it would be a relief.''
The overall premise of the story dwells on Nora's mundane life and suicidal thoughts, how she finally overcame it and wanting to live her life in the end. It sure is enlightening looking from Nora's point of view, as I would never have thought of dying. It is so true that we should surround ourselves with family and friends who truly loved us and understand us, who will listen and not judge us. Suicidal topics are usually a taboo, but it is a good reminder that such mental illness must be taken seriously. It is a silent killer, and we just have to stay alert to be on the lookout of any subtle changes within our family and friends. 

Oops, back to the book. This book has received many rave reviews as such I was kinda intrigued since it's about suicide. I have enjoyed the story, but I didn't think it should be as long. At some point, I did find the process repetitive with a similar outcome. I guess the adventure should be as it is in order to fully grasps Nora's difficulty. It was also a well written book that I was able to finish it albeit a little longer time taken. I liked the clarity and easy to understand prose that I hope to pick The Radleys which is in my TBR pile.
 
I'm glad to finally read it as renting popular books are as easy as 123 nowadays. My TBR is filled with older books LOL! I've gotten mine from Revitalize Books, a local book rental shop.

My take from this novel: no matter how many lives or choices we are given, it is up to us to live it to the fullest, appreciate it, don't be judgmental and stop comparing it or we will never ever feel contented or happy. Whichever choice we make or choose, it is up to us to live it as it's a decision we made consciously.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails