Wednesday 27 December 2023

[MPOV] Piranesi

My rating: 2/5
Goodreads rating: 4.23
Published: September 15, 2020
Author: Susanna Clarke
Genre: magical realism, mythology fiction, sci-fi fantasy
Piranesi’s house is no ordinary building: its rooms are infinite, its corridors endless, its walls are lined with thousands upon thousands of statues, each one different from all the others. Within the labyrinth of halls an ocean is imprisoned; waves thunder up staircases, rooms are flooded in an instant. But Piranesi is not afraid; he understands the tides as he understands the pattern of the labyrinth itself. He lives to explore the house.

There is one other person in the house—a man called The Other, who visits Piranesi twice a week and asks for help with research into A Great and Secret Knowledge. But as Piranesi explores, evidence emerges of another person, and a terrible truth begins to unravel, revealing a world beyond the one Piranesi has always known.
I'll admit it, I am not a fan. I practically speed read through it! Definitely one that I nearly DNF but continued just to see how it ends. At the start, I thought it's a Circe (Madeline Miller) kinda story but as it progressed, I find it a little confusing and it got me yawning mostly. This book reminds me of Tom Hank's Cast Away, a movie which I have not watch until today. It truly isn't my cup of tea. 

In a nutshell, this is my take btw, it's a story about Matthew who has been missing for more than 6 years and the police was still trying to locate him after getting a tipoff. He has been kidnapped and brainwashed into thinking he's from a different world. When he was found, he was reluctant to go home to his family thinking that the real world was not real. He sorts of becoming like Jekyll and Hyde i.e.  having 2 personalities in one body.

The author does have a way with words, as such I have rated it a little better. I would have thought that Piranesi is real until it got weirder and weirder. The story was mostly from 1 narrative until he discovers there are others in his world. That's when it slowly digressed away and I wasn't as interested, only wanting to know how the story ends. If you had enjoyed Cast Away and I am Legend, then this novel might suit your tastebud.
''The Beauty of the House is immeasurable; it's Kindness infinite.''

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails